Sugarproof Blueberry Banana Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
A blueberry muffin from a coffee shop can easily have around 7 teaspoons of added sugar, whereas our Sugarproof muffins are sweetened only with bananas and blueberries and have no added sugar.
Because the batter is made with oats and almond flour, they are high in fiber and also in protein. Making the batter in the food processor (or a blender) is the secret to giving them a light texture. But if you don’t have one, you can still make these by mashing the banana by hand and buying pre-ground oat flour (or using whole rolled oats) and mixing the batter in a bowl. Note that this recipe was tested with medium to large bananas. If using very small ones, consider adding an extra half or whole banana.
- Oil of choice for greasing the muffin tin
- ¾ cup rolled oats (not instant)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 large eggs
- 4 medium to large ripe bananas
- Zest from 1 lemon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, preferably with no added sugar
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed and well-drained (you can substitute frozen)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Grease a 12-muffin pan with an oil of choice, or use paper liners.
3. Put the oats, salt, and baking soda in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Process them into an even-textured flour.
4. Add in the eggs, bananas, lemon zest if using, and vanilla and process until smooth.
5. Add the almond flour and process until well-combined.
6. Pour or spoon some batter into each muffin cup, filling them halfway. Sprinkle a few blueberries in each cup, then distribute the rest of the batter. Top the muffins with the remaining blueberries, gently pressing them into the batter to anchor them.
7. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
8. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
Gluten-free muffins: Use gluten-free rolled oats.
Nut-free muffins: Substitute the 2 cups of almond flour for ½ cup coconut flour. (You need much less coconut flour, as it absorbs moisture.)
Grain-free muffins: Omit the oats and increase the almond flour to 2½ cups.
Other berry muffins: Replace the blueberries with other berries of choice, such as strawberries or raspberries.
Banana-nut muffins: Omit the blueberries and add ½ cup chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans in their place along with ¼ teaspoon of a warm spice like cardamom or nutmeg.
Vegan muffins: Replace the 4 eggs with 4 “flax eggs” (4 Tablespoons flax meal mixed with 10 Tablespoons water left to sit for 5 minutes before adding to the batter).
NUTRITION FACTS PER SERVING (1 MUFFIN): Calories 190 Total Fat 11g Protein 7g Total Carbohydrate 18g Dietary Fiber 4g Total Sugars 7g Added Sugars 0g